Wait, is this…? I had never noticed this
This always breaks my heart
I hated this moment the first time I saw the movie, back when I had no idea who Bucky or Steve were, because it was just such a weird line and awkward moment. It was like hitting the wrong chord in a piano piece, the line so clunky and scene so staged, and I couldn’t figure out why the editors or director left it in.
Then when I came down from my Chris Evans high and hit my Sebastian Stan stride I still couldn’t figure this scene out. Sure, the line itself made sense given Bucky’s friendship with Steve, but it’s delivery was still so… discordant.
Then I fell into the rabbit hole that is Bucky/Yasha/James and this scene became MY FAVORITE HEARTBREAK IN THE WHOLE DAMN MOVIE - sorry Peggy. OH MY GOD THE FEELS.
- "Captain America", not "Steve Rogers", because Steve is Bucky’s and Captain America is the war’s.
- "Captain America" because they all knew the US Armed Forces had every intention of leaving them there in that hell.
- "Captain America" because Bucky’s always been the one coming to rescue Steve, making sure Steve lives another day, and he’ll be damned if he’s going to let that change.
- His fuck you to the world turning briefly into pride and affection that the good man he’s always known is now getting the recognition and praise and support he’s deserved his whole life
- only for that pride and affection being subsumed by protective anger over the change in Steve’s body. Bucky knows the agony of experimentation and he’s not even physically different, what did they do to Steve to make him like this? And he knows they played upon Steve’s desperation to join; Bucky left him alone and the world took advantage.
- and my headcanon decided that there is possessive jealousy in there, too; ‘who do you all think you are, coming to the party so late and expecting to get a piece?’ Steve is Bucky’s.
- oh shit people are watching
- So all of that… ALL OF IT is shoved down deep with everything else he doesn’t want to face. Like what happened on that table.
Congratulations on your face, Sebastian, and not just because it’s pretty.
(Source: mari-sokoli, via shipeveryonewithsomeone)